Excitation of planetary electromagnetic waves in the inhomogeneous ionosphere
- 1Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University, 2, Glushkova Av., Build. 1, 03680 Kyiv, Ukraine
- 2Space Research Institute NASU-NSAU, 40, Glushkov Av., 03680, Kiev 187, Ukraine
- 3University of Morelos, Av. Universidad, 1001, Z.P. 62210, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
- 4Institute of Physics of the Earth, Russian Academy of Sciences, 10 B. Gruzinskaya, Moscow, 123995, Russia
- 5Space Systems Laboratory, Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, S1 3JD, UK
Abstract. In this paper we develop a new method for the analysis of excitation and propagation of planetary electromagnetic waves (PEMW) in the ionosphere of the Earth. The nonlinear system of equations for PEMW, valid for any height, from D to F regions, including intermediate altitudes between D and E and between E and F regions, is derived. In particular, we have found the system of nonlinear one-fluid MHD equations in the β-plane approximation valid for the ionospheric F region (Aburjania et al., 2003a, 2005). The series expansion in a "small" (relative to the local geomagnetic field) non-stationary magnetic field has been applied only at the last step of the derivation of the equations. The small mechanical vertical displacement of the media is taken into account. We have shown that obtained equations can be reduced to the well-known system with Larichev–Reznik vortex solution in the equatorial region (see e.g. Aburjania et al., 2002). The excitation of planetary electromagnetic waves by different initial perturbations has been investigated numerically. Some means for the PEMW detection and data processing are discussed.