Electromagnetic oscillations of the Earth's upper atmosphere (review)
- 1Metrology and Hydrology Department, Tbilisi State University, Chavchavadze Avenue, 1, 0128, Tbilisi, Georgia
- 2Physics Department, Georgian Technical University, Kostava Street, 77, 0175, Tbilisi, Georgia
- 3Institute of Cybernetics, S. Euli street, 5, 0186, Tbilisi, Georgia
- 4Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, FT-10 Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
- 5I. Vekua Institute of Applied Mathematics, Tbilisi State University, 2 University str., 0186 Tbilisi, Georgia
Abstract. A complete theory of low-frequency MHD oscillations of the Earth's weakly ionized ionosphere is formulated. Peculiarities of excitation and propagation of electromagnetic acoustic-gravity, MHD and planetary waves are considered in the Earth's ionosphere. The general dispersion equation is derived for the magneto-acoustic, magneto-gravity and electromagnetic planetary waves in the ionospheric E- and F-regions. The action of the geomagnetic field on the propagation of acoustic-gravity waves is elucidated. The nature of the existence of the comparatively new large-scale electromagnetic planetary branches is emphasized.