Multi-scale magnetic field intermittence in the plasma sheet
- 1Institut für Weltraumforschung der ÖAW, Graz, Austria
- 2Imperial College, London, UK
- 3TU Braunschweig, Germany
- 4Max-Planck-Institut für extraterrestrische Physik, Garching, Germany
- 5CESR/CNRS, Toulouse, France
Abstract. This paper demonstrates that intermittent magnetic field fluctuations in the plasma sheet exhibit transitory, localized, and multi-scale features. We propose a multifractal-based algorithm, which quantifies intermittence on the basis of the statistical distribution of the "strength of burstiness", estimated within a sliding window. Interesting multi-scale phenomena observed by the Cluster spacecraft include large-scale motion of the current sheet and bursty bulk flow associated turbulence, interpreted as a cross-scale coupling (CSC) process.
Key words. Magnetospheric physics (magnetotail; plasma sheet) – Space plasma physics (turbulence)